Monday, September 27, 2010

It's Fall, Finally!

Softly falling raindrops outside. Cooler temperatures. Geese headed south. It's fall--finally! What a summer we've had, especially an August of no rain combined with weeks of 100 plus temperatures. But now a respite before winter sets in. Only subtle changes in the tree leaves but the grasses alongside the roads are seeded out and showing tinges of yellow.

I love the changing seasons. Walking around town in my shirt sleeves in the dead of winter was nice when I lived in Southern California, but I missed the seasons. In one place we lived, our gas fireplace, though real, was designed not to give out much heat. It was there only for its esthetic value. Not so here in Texas.

Life has its seasons as well. (I think there's a song about that.) If we gave each season 25 years, that would make spring ages 1 to 25 years, summer 25 to 50, fall 50 to 75 and winter 75 to 100. Like the annual seasons, there's a lot of variation in each of those seasons. For example, a 1-year-old's life is quite different from that of a 25-year-old, and so on.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this except to say while the earth goes on year after year, season after season, our human life spans don't. If we're fortunate we have spring, summer, fall and winter. My dad didn't make it to fall and a son barely made it to summer. Yet my mother is in her winter years, blessed with a long and full life. My point--whatever season you're in, take time to stop and think about your life. Don't let life pass you by. Take time to enjoy and treasure each day God has blessed you with.

No comments:

Post a Comment